Difference between Social Media Marketing and Digital Marketing
As a digital marketer, you are well aware of the significance of social media marketing and digital marketing. Some marketers try to use these two marketing techniques interchangeably. According to them, if they engage the audience on different social media platforms, it is digital marketing. They should know that it is a part of digital marketing and is not an umbrella term. All the online and offline marketing activities come into digital marketing. We can use it to promote products and services. On the other hand, promoting products and services on different social media platforms is known as social media marketing.
What is Digital Marketing?
If we want to promote our products and services to make them noticeable and drive more sales, it is marketing. On the other hand, if we use digital media channels to promote these products and services, it is digital marketing. With the help of digital marketing, we can get lots of benefits. First, we can use it to grow the sales and profits of the products and services. Secondly, we can also use it to create brand awareness. Thirdly, you can also use it to add value to your products or services and much more. You can use various platforms to promote your products and services. It is not necessary to use all these platforms for digital marketing. You can use targeted platforms to get customised results. If you use all the digital marketing platforms, you can’t get the required results.
What is Social Media Marketing?
It is only one aspect of digital marketing. If you will use the social media platforms like Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook to promote your products and services, it is social media marketing. We can use it to get in touch with customers and followers. We can use various techniques to get the attention of the customers and followers on social media sites. The marketers have to show their presence on various social media platforms to compete with the competitors.
For this reason, they are making use of various tools. The most famous tools are email marketing, video hosting and SEO. We know that the world has become increasingly social, and we have to include social media marketing as part of digital marketing.
Difference Between Social Media Marketing and Digital Marketing:
The above discussion shows that social media marketing is a core component of digital marketing. Anyhow, marketers can achieve different benefits by using these two marketing techniques. Here, we will discuss the main differences between these two marketing techniques.
- If marketers use digital marketing techniques to promote the products and services, they can use online and offline digital tools. By using these online and offline digital tools, they can reach the target audience. It means that we can reach a wider audience. On the other hand, we are limited to online means only if we follow social media marketing techniques. We can’t use offline digital means to promote the products and services. As a result, we can reach a limited audience.
- We may also observe the difference between these marketing techniques from the limitations of their boundaries. For example, you can use various techniques to promote your products and services by using digital marketing like mobile advertising, online advertising, SMS advertising, etc. On the other hand, if we use social media marketing, we can’t use all the platforms. Its reason is that we are limited to using only social media platforms. To promote products and services, we can only use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media platforms.
- Told by a dissertation help firm, if you want to succeed in social media marketing, you will have to focus on the content strategy. You will have to share unique and original content on your social media profiles. Moreover, it would be best if you also tried to engage the customers and followers by sharing unique and original content. On the other hand, if you use digital marketing, you can’t measure your success by sharing the content. You can use various other techniques to get success. To promote your products and services, you can rely on the advertisements. For the advertisements, you can use digital platforms. On these digital platforms, there comes TV and the Internet.
- The main aim of digital marketing is to reach the target audience. To reach the target audience, you can use various advertising techniques. On the other hand, you will have to engage with the audience using social media marketing. To engage with the audience, you will have to focus on the content only.
- We can also compare the speed of the advertised products. When we compare the speed of the advertised products, we know that social media marketing will win the race. No doubt, we can use various platforms for digital marketing. We can’t get an active response from the audience by using these platforms. On the other hand, if we will sue social media platforms, we can easily get an active response from the audience. We can get an active response from the audience in likes, shares, comments, etc.
- We can easily measure the results of social media marketing campaigns. Its reason is that to know these results, we have to get an idea about the audience’s engagement. As discussed earlier, we can easily measure the audience’s engagement. We can measure it based on the audience’s likes, shares, and comments. On the other hand, if we use digital marketing, we must face many problems measuring its results. Its reason is that we can’t measure its engagement just like social media platforms.
After comparing these two marketing techniques, we know that the brands emphasise social media marketing. Its reason is that they try to get an instant response from the customers in views, likes and shares.